Wednesday 10 August 2016

Happy Days

This drawing is for my personal trainer. I want to say it’s about an epic journey I’ve been on to lose weight but it’s more like a final struggle after many half-arsed attempts…

I’ve never been thin; I was a chubby baby, an average teen with puppy fat, a busty adolescent and now I’m a “well built” woman. My weight did concern me but it didn’t stop me from doing anything or encourage nasty comments from people, I wasn’t unhappy and I ate what I wanted, so, why bother?

Over the years, on and off, I made several attempts at dieting, joining the gym, going running, etc. but I soon got bored and made the excuse that there were other more important things (mostly cake). I didn’t see fitness as an important part of life but eventually my ignorance got the better of me and I started putting more and more weight on.

Earlier this year I went to Dubai to visit my teeny weeny size 0 friend, who made me feel like a man in drag when I stood next to her in photos and that’s when I decided that I really wanted to do something about my body.

In some respects, yes, this is about society and the media and expectations, blah blah blah. But it’s mostly about me, what I want to look like and how I want to feel.

Which brings me back to my personal trainer, I couldn’t have got this far without him (mostly because I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing!). I was never interested in sports and I’m not very good at them either, but he makes exercise fun and I spend most of our session laughing (he’s probably sick of my horrendous cackle by now…).

“Happy Days” is what he says when I’ve achieved something and although I take the piss out of him for saying it, it’s probably one of my favourite things to hear now. I feel like I’m making good progress and getting stronger all the time, which is an accomplishment in itself.

Thanks T.

Website • Email • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment